Tuesday, May 13, 2014

WHICH MEDIUM EXPRESSES YOUR VISION BEST?

Lilacs in the Snow - Winter Superimposed upon Spring. Photo.


The weather continues to be cold. It snowed on the lilac blooms on Mother’s day. These blooms are the most full that they have ever been, plump and heavy like purple grapes. I rescued a generous bouquet from the bushes, and they are still o.k., still blooming both outdoors and inside.


Lilacs Rescued from the Frost, Photograph.

The apple blossoms this year were also the largest I had seen anywhere, 2 inch flowers from half inch buds, and there were bees busily carrying pollen to every blossom. The petals had fallen two days before the snow, and I hope we may still have an apple crop after the cold spell lifts. We inherited these apples from the previous owner, and one tree was grafted to bear three species of different apples, all quite wonderful. One year we gave bounty to all our neighbors. Two years ago I canned 22 quarts of applesauce.

Apple Blossoms Before the Freeze. Photo

Some artists would take inspiration from Nature and try to paint it.  I think it is enough to accept Photography as an art form in its own right. As an artist, I want to be able to interpret an image in another step beyond that which the camera can capture, or it does not seem necessary.

I might in the future, bring different photo images together in montage, to make a statement beyond the image captured in this moment of time. I also think an artist must think how one medium may express  his or her vision in the best possible way, and how one medium contributes in a better way than another medium. That is not to say that different mediums may not each be used to express one concept in multiple ways.

The first photo image was posted on Mother's Day for my blog, R Z Writestuff.  I also posted a poem there to honor my Mother. There is a connection between  ideas and images used as expressions in different art forms. To read that poem, follow the link,  http://ruthzwritestuff.blogspot.com 

Images and Writing are the Copyright  ©  of Ruth Zachary. Please note, I have imprinted the copyright information into the images shown on the web. The full sized images do not contain the imprint, are available for sale, and are signed beneath the photograph.

No comments: