Sunday, May 18, 2014

USING CUT OUT IMAGES WITH LAYERS

Money Tree. Computer Experiment using cut out  images in Photoshop. © by Ruth Zachary


On March 30, I promised to show a new technique in Photoshop. The new technique involved putting different layers together and then changing the modes of the top layers. Before, I had used some abstract layers and some realistic layers, but these experiments never worked well. It did work well when I used a cut out bicycle and a polka-dot pig with an abstract background, and changed the modes to find an example that integrated well. See the blog posted April 4th and 5th  on this  site.

With the new method, some of the layers were cut out. In the above example, the image of the girl in the tree was cut out. The coins, also were cut out. These were grouped with two other abstract painterly textured layers, each where the imagery filled the entire format. The format size was 7.5 x 10 inches, to keep the file at a smaller size so working more speedily was possible. The actual images were a little larger than the format boundaries, so layers could be shifted to a better position.

With this method, the artist is not limited to photographic images, or to computer generated abstractions. Layers can be created by hand methods, scanned into the computer, and then cut out and modes can be applied to the experiments. Separate realistic cut outs, from drawings, paintings, or other media, can be combined with hand created abstract shapes, to integrate elements from both.

I have had trouble combining abstraction and realistic images in the same picture plane, something I have mentioned before. Perhaps it is similar to the stage of development children enter, when they become preoccupied with making their drawings and paintings ever more realistic. Before this stage, most children have a natural sense of space, balance, color and composition, and they don’t require such realism of their creations. I suspect it is related to left brained/ right brained functioning dominating the process.

If I create an abstraction, I am not impaired by the same constricting standards of realism. But at some stage, for what ever reason, I found it hard to make an impressionistic version of a recognizable subject, where once it had seemed like second nature.

The writing groups I have taken part in often have a segment of artistic people as well. In my Second Saturday Writers Group, (On Facebook) Susan Buller, brought several Collages she had done for an art show last fall. They were wonderful! I had not been able to attend her show, and I felt so grateful that I got to see them.

She had also displayed her poems with the Collages. She said she got the idea from a show I had at the UU Church for Chalice Arts where I had displayed poems with art.

Then Ken Mowery, another man in our writer’s group asked me if I might do a short demonstration of Collage. He is interested in art as therapy, and collage can be relatively easy for untrained people.  I realized I could do this, as I had done a Collage and Experimental Painting demonstration several years prior, for the Greeley Art Association, and still had many of the examples I collected then.


Collage -  Next time
That made me think of also using my blogs as a showcase for Collage, which I may do for several weeks in the future. I expect I will also work with experimental painting techniques. I will put my abstract experiments on one blog and the more realistic images on this Montage blog.

Recently I have been exploring Computer Art techniques… trying to discover ways to create with the computer to make art. I have not forsaken hand made art. In fact, integrating hand made methods and traditional media using the computer has been my goal. Collage is another step for integrating both realistic and abstract imagery.

To see other experiments with more abstract imagery including the coins, visit my blog, Mixed MediaAbstract Art, posted on May 17.

Images and Writing on this site are the Copyright © of Ruth Zachary.

No comments: