Friday, October 31, 2014

SUBJECT TREATMENTS AND APPROACHES






Since the present focus here is on collage, these many approaches will be applied to making a collage that may work very well without having a formal understanding of composition at first.

Often children have an intuitive sense about composition, that comes from observing the world around them. When the analytical side of awareness develops, many children become obsessed with details, concern over realism and lose that natural artist that they once possessed.

I would like to encourage people to enjoy their inner child in the process of making a collage. There are multiple approaches and different examples for creating art work. A person can follow some basic steps, without copying the example shown, or trying to mimic someone else’s work.

Exposure to these options will allow the collage artist to recognize the approaches which are appealing enough for him or her to try. As this process unfolds, I may include comments about why a piece works as a composition or why it fails, as well as how to improve upon the problems.

This in turn will become integrated into the artist’s understanding of why (or not) their process is achieving what they wish. In time, the artist’s preferences will govern his or her choices. Eventually an awareness about composition will evolve out of the process.

My intention is to show various ways of presenting a subject, which I think of as Approaches. I will probably include several individual Subject Treatments and Approaches for a month or two on this blog.These should be suitable for collage. I may include a list of more treatments and approaches at the end of the allotted time, and then in future, feature Approaches more periodically on this blog, Labeled with that name. 

The approaches I explain will hopefully be presented in a sequence that builds upon previous approaches.  If I present them out of sequence, please forgive me.
I will try to put them back into the correct sequence in the future.


Please Note. My Scanner stopped working about a month ago, so transferring images to my blogs means I must use a camera which does not have high  resolution capability.  I may get things working again, and could potentially scan actual work for illustration of these techniques after the fact.

No comments: