Sunday, April 27, 2014

THE METAPHORIC EYE

My Muse and I at the Sidewalk Cafe. Photo Montage © by Ruth Zachary



The process of creating art, for me, whether expressed in visual forms or in words, is an intuitive process, in which
connections between different images are noticed, and demand to be recorded. The connections between diverse images seemed to convey meanings beyond those of single images, as do metaphors in writing and language arts.

The experience of seeing a relationship between different images first happened many years ago while working in the darkroom in a photography class. Soon this way of seeing spilled over into other art forms, such as in etching and painting. I continued to be fascinated with connections created with double exposures in the camera, reflected images,
and with montages and collages.

Eventually I was drawn to Photoshop as a tool for creating art. Photoshop allows a person to place different images in the same picture plane, with layering or with cutting and pasting of multiple images.  I began to mix the effects possible by using many media in combination, including Photoshop, montage or collage or painting, with both objective imagery and abstractions.

I have been a closet writer as well, and often have been attracted to poetry. There is an obvious link between the two forms of expression. Metaphors are not limited to words. Perhaps image connections are the most primeval metaphors of all.

I invite others to share their thoughts about their unique creative process. Or if anyone has questions about these comments, I'd love to have a dialogue on the subject!

Much of this post was included on my old blog, Ruth Zachary Montage, posted August 25, 2008.


Images and Writing are the © of Ruth Zachary.

No comments: