Friday, March 14, 2014

BICYCLES IN PROGRESS

Bicycles in progress.                                                                           ©by Ruth Zachary.

This preliminary underpainting was the next step after establishing a drawing on a primed panel. The colors were painted in acrylic,  diluted with water so the colors over the white gesso were more like watercolor painting.  The photo I took of the painting at this stage was rather pale, and now on the blog is darker than it really is, but it shows the general color scheme I would like to achieve in the eventual finished painting. This was painted with a half inch angled bristle brush. This took about one full day of work, now totaling four days.

Next I will probably do an acrylic rendition of the bicycles and the bench using a smaller brush. I don't know if I have enough time to paint the top layer (s) in oil, because I am also racing with the clock on the yard work. I need to prune the apple trees as much as possible before they start leafing out. This may turn out to be an acrylic painting from start to finish.


Writing and images are  © of Ruth Zachary.

No comments: