Thursday, February 13, 2014

CREATIVE CONTEXT




 Medicine Woman                                                              © by Ruth Zachary


This Blog is about objective imagery, that is, the subject or elements of the composition are an interpretation of real things... buildings, landscapes, bottles, people  or animals etc.

A Montage is the collection of different images from different settings placed together in the same picture plane. This might be achieved as a painting, a drawing,  photographically in a darkroom,  or on a computer, or by a collage technique where various images are glued to a foundation such as primed Masonite or a canvas panel. The imagery also is realistic enough to recognize the subject.

The evolution of an artist is related to their evolving culture and interests within a changing world. What an artist focuses upon is influenced by the setting surrounding the person he or she is.

I have worked with Montage for many years, because when different views of a subject are placed together in a piece of art, the associations of the different images suggest an implied meaning. They are metaphoric and the impact is much different than depicting a subject as the single focus of the image. I am interested in what my imagery has to convey to others.

This blog will also be about techniques of developing imagery. When I can, I will show steps in creating a composition, as a kind of demonstration, but today I am including two examples in the evolution of my own development as an artist .

I worked for many  years as a printmaker between 1977 and 1997, making etchings. At first I  focused on wildlife, drawing very detailed sepia-toned images of animals in a natural setting, and later I created montages of women, dealing with the heritage of women and myth in a historic setting.

Eventually, the method of montage continued,  still using the etching medium,  featuring more modern human subjects in a more contemporary setting.

To see more of my etchings and ways of working visit Ruth Zachary Montage, a blog I maintained from 2008 until 2013.

All Adults Must Be Accompanied by a Child.                                                © by Ruth Zachary


To see older work visit Ruth Zachary Montage

No comments: